- ‘He’ vs ‘she’ in Australian media coverage: what the language of news tells us about gender imbalance
- 10th International Conference on Professional Communication and Translation Studies
- Systemic Functional Linguistics in the Digital Age Just published!
- 27th European Systemic Functional Linguistics Conference
- Inter rater reliability in SFL research
Academic Language in every subject Hamstead Hall Academy Trust
Thursday 29th September 2016
“an intelligent approach to language development to ensure sustainable whole school improvement.” (HMI verbal report January 2016)
A day’s course exploring the following;
What does EAL mean to you?
What is literacy?
What are the challenges for us as teachers?
The Functional model of language
The register continuum
A Teaching and Learning Cycle to scaffold language and literacy
The course puts language at the heart of teaching and learning and addresses the following:
What do pupils need to be able to do with and through language to succeed at school?
What do teachers and pupils need to know about language to ensure pupils succeed?
How can teachers scaffold lessons, units of work and whole curricula so that the development of
academic registers of language within subject disciplines takes place?
Who should attend?
The course is designed to equip teaching and learning/literacy leaders with the foundation of knowledge they need to drive progress at a strategic level, and should, therefore, be attended by those tasked with rolling out the principles and practices of the course across the school following completion of the training.
Rachel Parnell email@example.com
by Monday 19th September 2016
What is a functional model of language?
Robyn Ewing (formerly Cusworth)